Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Waste

Dear Junkies,
One of the things I was worried about when I first started my Sonoma shopping was food waste. You are eating such a variety of food, and there's a limit to what you can do in terms of buying smaller portions. Now, there is obviously a base amount of waste that is going to happen, whether it's because your cilantro gets pushed to the back corner and you think it's lost or the strawberries were riper than they looked, you just can't eat EVERYTHING you buy, especially when you are eating more fresh and less frozen.
My fears were for naught, I have been pleasantly surprised in the waste department. I think this is due to two things: I am only buying food to eat for a specific meal/snack, we are not eating meals that don't involve produce (goodbye skillet sensations, good pasta and tuna helper). For 30 days, we have thrown away 1/2 a bunch of parsley, 1/2 a cuke, a lot of anchovies, a bit of cilantro and some mushrooms. I'd say that's pretty good, because for a person that cooks for 1.5 (1 for lunch and two for dinner) how do you finish a whole bunch of parsley?

Menu Wave 2

2 eggs over easy with one piece of toast

My favorite salad! for lunch

1c broccoli florets
1 cheddar cheese wheel

Wild Mushroom Barley Risotto-to DIE for! Scratched my pasta & creaminess itch. I had no idea how to measure 3/4 oz, so I just put a bunch in. I was waaaay to excited to take a pic of this one.
Baby Greens with Apples, Walnuts and Lemon Vinaigrette-really liked this dressing

~The PABJ

No comments:

Post a Comment